Ghana Maritime Authority
- MBA, (Finance) Graduate Business School, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), October, 2002.
- Msc. Ports and Shipping Administration, World Maritime University (WMU), Malmo, Sweden, 1993.
- BA (Hons) Social Sciences, University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1985.
- B.A. Degree in Theology, Redemption International College, International Theological Seminary, Toronto, Canada, 2011.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Transport Studies, Institute of Industrial Reconstruction, (IRI), Rome, Italy, 1989.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Leadership and Development, Crenshaw Christian Centre, Ghana, 2008.
- Post Graduate Certificates in Shipping and Maritime Security, Maritime Safety and Maritime Transport.
- Post Graduate Certificate, Chief Executives Training Programme, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), August, 2000.
- Member, Chartered Institute of Transport(CIT), London, UK, 1994
- Chairman, National Shipping Act Review Committee, 1997-1998.
- Chairman, National Committee on International Maritime Traffic Facilitation, 1995-2000.
- Member, Committee of Experts to the Board of Governors of the Regional Maritime Academy (RMA), now Regional Maritime University (RMU) Accra, Ghana, 1994–to-date.
- Member, National Committee for the Implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code, January 2004-July, 2004.
- Chairman, National Committee for the Implementation of the International Convention on Standard of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers 1999-2000.
- Board Member, State Shipping Corporation,( the erstwhile Black Star Line), 1994-1997.
- Board Member, Ghana Port and Harbours Authority, Tema, 1997-2000.
- Visiting Lecturer, Department of Maritime Studies, RMA, 1994-1999.
- Visiting Lecturer, Management, Development and Productivity Institute (MDPI), Accra, 1998-2000.
- Lecturer, Chartered Institute of Transport (CIT) Ghana Branch, Accra, 1995-1997.
- Deputy Shipping Commissioner, Shipping and Navigation Division of the Ministry of Roads and Transport, Ghana, 1997-2000.
- Ag. Shipping Commissioner, Shipping and Navigation Division of the Ministry of Transport and Communication, June 2000-January 2003.
- Chairman, Seamen Examination and Certification Board, Ghana, 1999- to-date.
- Shipping Commissioner, Shipping and Navigation Division of the Ministry of Ports and Harbours and Railways, January 2003-June 2005.
- Board Member, Ghana Maritime Authority, 2004.
- Director General, Ghana Maritime Authority, June 2005-to- date.
- Member, ILO Steering Committee on Maritime Standards and Conventions, 2004.
- Member, Ghana Fisheries Commission, 2008.
- Member, Ghana Boundary Commission, 2010 –to-date.
- Member, Board of Trustees, West Africa Nobles Forum, 2012.
- Chairman, Hanson Wade International Conference on Combating Maritime Crime: Piracy and Armed Robbery in West Africa, 2012.
The Ghana Maritime Authority (GMA) was established under Act 630 of 2002 and charged with the responsibility of monitoring, regulating and coordinating activities in the maritime industry.
The GMA is headed by a Director-General with thirteen (13) member Governing Board made up mainly institutional representative from the key maritime agencies.
The vision of the Ghana Maritime Authority is to become a premier maritime administrator in West and Central Africa, promoting national and international maritime development.
The Mission of the Authority is to create a harmonies and enabling environment within the maritime industry which will ensure the provision of safe, secure and efficient shipping operations in the seas and inland waters of the country. Our mission is also to protect the marine environment from vessel and other sources of pollution. It is also to oversee the training, engagement and welfare of Ghanaian Seafarers.
Mr. Peter Issaka Azuma
Director-General, Ghana Maritime Authority
Humility, dedication and hard work is what makes Mr. Peter Issaka Azuma, Director-General of the Ghana Maritime Authority (GMA). Mr. Peter Issaka Azuma holds several academic and professional qualifications including the following:
Mr. Azuma has held and continues to hold various important positions in the maritime industry including the following:
Tel: +233 302 684392 or +233 302 684393
Fax: +233 302 677702