A tool for grassroots development
The Ministry as it is known today was recreated by the government of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in February 2013, to be responsible for effecting very special assignments as deemed necessary by the President.
The Ministry is charged with several responsibilities among which are monitoring and authorising all payments on constituency projects; evaluating the implementation of federal executive council policies and projects by other ministries, departments and agencies and report back to the president in council; and conducting, co-ordinating, and promoting good and harmonious relationships among the three tiers/arms of government and relevant international bodies.
In line with its mandate, the Ministry carried out the following activities successfully since its recreation in 2013:
- Identified 2,399 constituency/intervention projects across Nigeria for implementation as appropriated in the 2013 Budget.
- Monitored constituency/intervention projects in 25 states of Nigeria which motivated the contractors to be mobilised at sites thereby resulting in most of the projects being successfully completed.
- In September 2013, successfully organised a one-day Stakeholders’ Forum where all the grey areas on issues pertaining to the Implementation of Constituency Projects were discussed. The Forum had in attendance members of the National Assembly, all implementing ministries, departments and agencies and other stakeholders.
- In December 2013, the Ministry in collaboration with UNDP hosted the Forum of Key Functionaries of Local Governments in Nigeria, where issues bordering on improving local government administration in Nigeria were discussed. The Ministry is also to host the Commonwealth Local Government Forum Board Meeting in June 2014.
- The Ministry participated in the 7th conference of the Commonwealth Local Government Forum (2013) in Uganda.
- Re-establishment of relationship with donor agencies including successful negotiation and signing of an agreement in May 2013 with the UNDP on partnership for ‘Strengthening Nigeria’s Local Governance and Local Development Programme’ from 2013-2017.
- Effective co-ordination/oversight of parastatals under the Ministry; and
- Under the supervision of the Ministry, the National Lottery Regulatory Commission generated over ₦2 billion, which is domiciled with the National Lottery Trust Fund.
To serve as a platform for the effective and efficient delivery of the gains of transformation agenda through the implementation of constituency projects, performance of special duties as assigned by the President and conducting Inter-Governmental Affairs.
To serve as strategic tool for grassroots development, effective implementation and monitoring of government policies and programmes for National Development.