- Issue, renew and cancel licenses
- Establish standards for regulated goods and services
- Establish standards for the terms and conditions of supply of the regulated goods and services
- Regulate rates and charges
- Monitor the performance of the regulated sectors
- Facilitate the resolutions of complaints and disputes between operator vs operator and consumer vs operator
- Disseminate information about matters relevant to the functions of the Authority
- Implementation of a converged licensing framework covering telecoms, broadcasting and postal services
- Introduction of internet exchange points to cater for national internet traffic
- Introduction of tzcc TLD domain name registration
- Telecentres opened in a number of regions across the country
- Introduction of consumer complaints guidelines
- Sensitisation of operators on consumer issues
- Initiation and co-ordination of post code new physical addressing project
- Co-ordination of the central equipment identification and SIM registration
- Implementation of a new and comprehensive numbering plan in 2006
- Content monitoring in broadcasting
- Introduction of a child helpline
- Introduction of a zonal office
- Awarded as a best regulator in Africa in 2006 and in 2009
The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) is a quasi-independent government body responsible for regulating the communications and broadcasting sectors. It was established under the Tanzania Communications Regulatory Act no. 12 of 2003 to regulate the electronic communications, and postal services, and management of the national frequency spectrum in the United Republic of Tanzania. The Authority became operational in November 2003 and effectively took over the functions of the now defunct Tanzania Communications Commission and Tanzania Broadcasting Commission, respectively.
To enhance the welfare of Tanzanians through an effective and efficient regulatory framework that ensures universal access to communications.
To be a world-class regulator, creating a level playing field among communication service providers and promoting accessible and affordable services to consumers in Tanzania.
To develop an effective and efficient communications regulatory framework, promote efficiency among the communications service providers, and protect consumer interests with an objective of contributing to socio-economic and technological development in the United Republic of Tanzania.
TCRA is committed to enhancing the welfare of Tanzanians through provision of effective and efficient regulatory services that ensures universal access to communication services, through the quality management system in all processes needed in our areas of jurisdiction. TCRA continuously improves and reviews its quality objectives and communicates the policy within the organisation.
Quality Management System: TCRA is ISO 9001: 2008 Certified
TCRA has the following functions
Corporate social responsibility
With our success comes the responsibility of giving back to our society in a meaningful and sustainable fashion. TCRA supports efforts of corporate social investment that aims to improve lives of Tanzanians through poverty alleviation and promoting economic development. The focus is on three areas, education, health and economic empowerment. These are in line with national development priorities.
Accomplishments and ongoing activities of the Authority