Find Printing and Publishing expertise in Australia
The major players in Australia’s publishing industry are Random House, Macmillan, HarperCollins, Scholastic and Penguin all subsidiaries of global publishing firms – although there are a number of independent publishers throughout the nation. Allen & Unwin is the largest independent publisher in the country. Publishers in Australia are mostly members of the Australian Publishers Association. The country’s main newspaper is The Australian which has been in distribution since 1964. Australia also has numerous weekly and monthly newspapers, as well as hundreds of community newspapers which are distributed throughout various areas of the country.
Turnover for the industry in the year 2008-09 was AU$1.75 billion, 13.5% of which was exports, mainly to the UK, US and Germany. Education and non-fiction titles account for about 80% of the revenues.
Ranking 20 out of 144 for the Global Competitiveness Report 2012-13, and 19 out of 144 for intellectual property protection with a score of 5.3 (seven being the strongest). It beats countries such as Taiwan, China who is 22nd in the chart and United States who is 29th. The United Kingdom remains 13 places higher in the chart than Australia. The high value of intellectual property protection is important as it helps the country develop socially and economically, whilst also ensuring solid patent, copyright and trademark protection to its new technologies, brand names and creative works such as books, music and movies.
Around 80% of the country’s population speaks English, and the other 20% is divided into Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic and Italian. There is little market for native language texts, as most of the country’s 400 (aboriginal) languages, are now extinct or moribund, with only 15 languages being spoken by all age groups in today’s society. The majority of people who make up the native speaking population are elderly aboriginals. Australia no longer holds an international book fair however the Australian Publishers Association actively takes part in the annual London Book Fair showcasing titles for people interested in Australian publishing.
The printing industry was first established in 1788. Today, On Demand is Australia’s largest provider of digital print and business solutions and the Printing Industries Association of Australia is a national organisation for companies currently associated with printing, graphic arts, paper, packaging and paper products.