Find Fisheries expertise in Zambia
- Overview of the industry
- Fishery bodies
The fisheries sector contributes around 1% to Zambia’s GDP (2007). While this is a small percentage, fisheries are crucial to Zambia’s rural economy as a source of income and food. It has been estimated that 300,000 people earn part of their income directly or indirectly from fisheries, of which approximately 25,000 people are formally employed in the primary economic sector and 30,000 in the secondary sector (trade).
As an informal economic activity, Zambian fisheries are dominated by artisanal fishing using traditional vessels. Artisanal fishing accounts for 85% of catch, while industrial fishing of pelagic species accounted for the remaining 15%. The Bangweulu and Tanganyika fisheries of the Congo Basin are the most productive, accounting for 43% of annual catch. There are estimated to be more than 6,000 small-scale fish farmers and over 13,000 fish ponds in Zambia, with commonly farmed species composed mainly of variations of tilapia: the spotted tilapia, the long-fin tilapia and the red breasted tilapia; however, a number of exotic species including the common carp and the Nile tilapia are also caught in the country, and freshwater sardines which are an important Zambian export.
The vast majority of catch is domestically consumed, and as the local market is not fully satisfied by domestic production fish is also imported. Tourist oriented recreational fishing is also fairly large in Zambia, the catch profile largely dominated by the Tiger Fish.
The National Aquaculture Association of Zambia (NAAZ) aims to take advantage of agricultural programmes such as the government’s national irrigation scheme, while the Zambia Sport Fishing Association is the main association for sport fishing. The Fisheries Act, No. 21 of 1974 was until recently the principal legal instrument governing fisheries, and this legislation prohibited non-native fish introduction, certain fishing methods, and the designation of areas for different types of fishing. In 2007 the government passed the Fisheries Act of 2007 with the objective to improve the involvement of riparian communities in fisheries management, promote development of the aquaculture sector, and to establish a Fisheries Development Fund.
The Department of Fisheries within the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives (MACO) is responsible for the development of fisheries. The overall objective of the department is to promote the sustainable utilisation of fisheries resources in Zambia.
|Fisheries organisations in Zambia|
|Capital Fisheries Ltd||
|Department of Fisheries in the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, The||