Find Tourism and Travel partners in Guyana
Tourism and travel contributed GYD44.1bn to the economy of Guyana in 2011. The sector provided 25,500 jobs, representing 8.1% of total employment in the country (World Travel and Tourism Council WTCC 2011). The nation placed 86th in the world (out of 181 countries) with respect to the tourism sector’s relative contribution to the economy, with a 9.2% share of GDP, compared to the world average of 14% (WTTC 2011). There were 150,000 tourist arrivals in 2010, which included tourists, same-day visitors, cruise passengers and crew members, with a large proportion from North America. Visitor exports generated GYD13.9bn in 2011, constituting 4.9% of total exports. The Guyana Tourism Authority promotes Guyana internationally as a tourist destination, whilst the Ministry of Tourism, Industry and Commerce is responsible for overseeing the industry. The Tourism & Hospitality Association of Guyana is the umbrella body for tourist related industries aiming to promote the interests of those in the sector. It also promotes tourism in Guyana through its Explore Guyana website.
Tourism in Guyana is driven by the country’s natural environment and the nation is often highlighted as an ecotourism hotspot. It offers great natural beauty, part of the Amazonian rainforest, diverse wildlife and vibrant indigenous culture, an alternative to the sun and sand tourism of the nearby Caribbean. The rivers and waterfalls of the country include the Kaieteur Falls, the highest single drop waterfall in the world, five times taller than Niagara Falls. The interior offers high quality eco-resorts.
Guyana’s government is keen to promote a dynamic tourism sector and tourism was included as a priority under the country’s National Development Strategy. The Ministry of Tourism launched in 2012 a campaign to promote Guyana as the destination of the ‘Amazon adventure’. There is great potential in the expansion of nature and adventure activities, notably bird watching, sports fishing, trekking and mountain climbing. Additionally, community tourism is an expanding sector, with the popularity of visits to stay with the indigenous communities of the Amazon and experience their traditional culture growing.
Opportunities for investment in the country include the development of the Kaeiteur Park area, recreational facilities, and activities (such as rafting, boating, horseback riding and golf), and accommodation in the interior (such as eco-lodges and resorts). The tourist industry is benefitting from the recent construction of a modern convention centre and from the hosting of Cricket World Cup matches in 2007.
Investment in the travel and tourism sector in 2011 was GYD3.4bn, constituting 2.6% of total investment. This was expected to fall by 0.9% in 2012, but then rise to 3.5% pa over the following ten years, reaching GYD4.8bn by 2022.
|Tourism and Travel organisations in Guyana|
|Edwards & Company||
|Evergreen Adventures Inc.||
|Guyana Tourism Authority||