- Hon. Minister of Finance
- His Excellency the President
- NIPC CEO
- Nigeria became a member of the Commonwealth in 1960, it was temporarily suspended from 1995-99
- Nigeria gained independence on the 1st of October 1960
- Nigeria has been competing in the Commonwealth Games since 1950, and has won 143 medals
- Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Pesident of Nigeria 1999-2007 and former chairperson-in-office of the Commonwealth, delivered the 8th Annual Commonwealth Lecture, on ‘The Commonwealth in the 21st Century: Prospects and Challenges’, in 2005
- Wole Soyinka, born in Abeokuta in July 1934, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1986
- Six Nigerians have won Commonwealth Writers’ Prizes
- Yusuf Alli took the Commonwealth Games Men’s Long Jump record with a jump of 8.39 metres at the Auckland Games in 1990
- Scholarships and fellowships are awarded by Nigeria to citizens of other Commonwealth countries under the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- This country hosts a national chapter of the Commonwealth Human Ecology Council
- Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa with a population of over 150 million
- Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Commonwealth Secretary-General 1990-2000
- Abubakar Jijiwa, former President of the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association
- Professor Ade Adefuye, former Special Advisor (Political Affairs), Commonwealth Secretariat
- 1968 Fourth Conference of Commonwealth Education Ministers in Lagos
- 2003 CHOGM in Abuja, resulting in the Aso Rock Commonwealth Declaration on Development and Democracy: Partnership for Peace and Prosperity
- 2005 Second Commonwealth Tourism Ministers Meeting in Abuja
Cowry Asset Management LimitedCowry Asset Management Limited is an investment banking firm incorporated on February 22, 2005 by a team of highly successful Nigerian professionals and entrepreneurs who have distinguished themselves in diverse sectors of the economy such as Banking, Capital Markets, Engineering, Education and Business
Hon. Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Federal Minister of Finance
HE Goodluck Jonathan
President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
It is with consummate faith in the abounding opportunities and exciting possibilities which Nigeria – the veritable heart of Africa – offers, that I welcome you to these pages dedicated to telling our story.
Our administration has already set in motion, through robust economic reforms which have enshrined macroeconomic stability, the requisite machinery to make Nigeria the financial hub of Africa, fast-track Nigeria’s full integration into the global financial system, and establish Nigeria as the investor’s destination of choice. This, combined with our rich, unique and diverse cultural and eco-tourism potentials, makes ours indeed a land of limitless opportunities.
We remain unwaveringly committed to those ideals which signpost the essence of the Commonwealth of Nations, taking unmediated pride in the shared heritage that keeps us members of one family.
As you take a virtual tour of our unique country, I say “Welcome to Nigeria!”
Eng. Mustapha Bello
CEO, Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission
Nigeria in the Commonwealth
Senior Commonwealth officers
Commonwealth meetings hosted
Enhancing the Institutional Capacity of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of Nigeria (2007/08)
This project, which was commissioned by the Commonwealth Secretariat, built institutional capacity of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of Nigeria through training of trainers for the Commission and of other establishments whose work was closely related. The training will enable these organisations to function effectively and to deliver on their mandates. The technical advisor mentored the director and other officials to build an institution of excellence. The staff of the Commission and other related establishments received training in areas of expertise and best practices for enforcement officials.
Advisor/Trainer, School of Occupational Therapy (2005/06)
An expert was provided on behalf of the Commonwealth Secretariat to the Psychiatric Hospital in Yaba, Lagos, to establish a School of Occupational Therapy and to train local experts. The Psychiatric Hospital in Yaba is known for its specialist care but the number of qualified occupational therapists in public hospitals has declined despite an increase in demand for care, particularly care related to drug abuse and poverty-related stress. The project helped address the national shortage of occupational therapists.
Assessment Mission to Nigeria (2005/06)
A mission to Nigeria took place to determine whether there was broad support for the presence of Commonwealth Observers during the presidential and National Assembly elections
Senior Trade Promotion Advisor (Export Development Strategies) (2003/04)
The Commonwealth Secretariat provided an advisor who assisted the Government development export strategies for the United National Electoral Assistance Division (UNEAD) and the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) to form an Electoral Review Team to examine all aspects of Nigeria’s electoral arrangements. Overall, the elections met acceptable standards but there were a number of problems, particularly in the Southern Delta States, and INEC were keen to review electoral arrangements. The Commonwealth Secretariat paid for five of the team of eleven experts. The team reviewed electoral arrangements in Nigeria and made recommendations for the future.
Debt Recording and Management System (2000)
During the period when Nigeria was suspended from the Commonwealth, only basic hotline support was given for the use of CS-DRMS. DFID/IMF retained the services of Crown Agents to implement the project. We have been kept informed of progress. One staff member participated in the workshop of debt management in a liberalising economic environment on London and in the CS-DRMS version 7.2 course in Pune. The Government was in contact with ELASD regarding new hardware for CS-DRMS 2000+. An ELASD staff member reviewed the status of the project, taking advantage of participation in a debt management workshop that was organised by Waifem end August 2000.